Every year brands take advantage of Valentine’s Day, trying to thrust anything heart shaped either down your throat or in your face.
Don’t get me wrong, I do love Valentine’s Day. I’m a bit of a hopeless romantic and think it shouldn’t be exclusive for couples, but an excuse to spread love so far and wide that you fill your heart and everyone’s you care about. Shower your parents with cards of appreciation, your friends with hugs, hell even the neighbours dog!
This year is going to be different for me, not that I want to gloat, but I’m going to be enjoying the sunshine and Jamaican rum while on holiday. And seeing as I was in a relationship for the last 4 years with each Valentine’s going by with nothing to write home about, I’m feeling pretty smug with my sassy single self.
Nonetheless, it’s easy to be reminded how lonely you are at this time of year. And I want to do something different than all the lingerie or gift guide posts that have been filling up my feeds so far.
So here are some things you can do/I might do, to make sure I don’t end up crying myself to sleep after watching a cheesy (but utterly charming) rom com starring Jennifer Lopez.
- First of all, in preparation, go to Ann Summers and treat YO SELF! You know what I mean. Who says being single you have to miss out on some under the cover fun. (I bet Ann summers toy sales sky rocket at this time of year eh?!)
- Wake up a little early and make yourself the most bomb breakfast EVER! Whether it’s avocado on toast, a full English, or a mean bowl of porridge, take time to prep something delicious to nurture your body and make your soul happy. Slip back into bed and enjoy it before you get ready for work or whatever it is you do on a Tuesday!
- Buy yourself some flowers. Nothing makes a room come alive like some fresh flowers. I love how they can transform a room and lift your mood. You could even pretend they’re from a secret admirer (aka you).
- Arrange a girl date with your other single pals. (I write this hoping you have some single pals because if you don’t then I may have just exacerbated the problem here). There’s nothing better than surrounding yourself with your best mates who can remind you of how fabulous you are *que the Sex and The City scene*
- If you do find yourself alone in the evening. Do something therapeutic and reflective, like writing a letter to your 12 year old self. You’ll realise how far you’ve come and how incredible you really are, without a man in your life to complete you!
- And if the weather in the UK is as cold and dreary as I left it a week ago, then it will probably be a perfect evening for a hot bath with your favourite bath salts and bubbles. Try avoiding Lush as you know it’s going to be a hypnotic psychedelic array of heart shaped gift sets. Just wait till they’re reduced and get yourself a bargain!
- On that note, come Feb 15th, go down to the nearest supermarket and purchase all the reduced heart shaped, foil covered chocolate and go binge with a cup of earl grey tea. Perfect!
Are you going to be single this Valentine’s Day? Take the time to indulge yourself and focus on self care and self love. Because in the famous words of RuPaul: If you can’t love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?! Can I get an Amen?!
Never miss a post with Bloglovin‘