|this post was inspired by this tote bag, designed by LolaHoad. you can purchase this bag and shop for other designs here|
this year for me however, will be slightly different to those before as i’m experiencing Christmas as an independent retailer, so i want to just bring something to attention: bear in mind the business owner in your life when gift shopping…you probably know at least one, you know.. that person that works from home, staying up till early hours in the morning working on creating their product or perfecting their brand. or it might be the person who’s spent all day scheduling posts for their facebook business page even though it may only have a handful of likes. bear in mind that post graduate who’s started their own business venture and wants to show the world what they can designy and create with their own hands. bear in mind that mum who’s decided not to go back to work so she doesn’t miss out those precious childhood moments, so she crams in crafts or business in between raising a child. or that person, who you may see constantly plugging their products onto social media, is just throwing their passion out there and hoping other people catch it.
to that person EVERY customer matters. every purchase means their hard work paid off. every order means they can spend more time doing what they love or spending time with who they love. the profit made doesn’t just go into some fat cats back pocket.. it pays rent, puts food on the table. those are things that are real and a huge deal (maybe not to you), but even still would not be possible if a handful of people didn’t support us independents.
no we might not be able to compete with pound land or the leading supermarkets, especially when they come out with tear jerking fancy christmas ads. but you know, it’s a fucking brave thing to do starting your own business venture, we know the tough competition out there but still have the balls to do what we love anyway because it’s our passion and denying ourselves that would be quite frankly, a sin!
- your loved one will get a truly unique and well thought of gift
- your hard earned money will go towards a wo/man who’s working towards their dreams, or to simply provide for their family
- you can avoid the chaotic high street and instead put your feet up and browse some awesome products you may have never seen before
- no 5p plastic bag charge, yay!
- you won’t have to face the elements, which will most likely be rain and wind.. and more rain
- your purchase is like a little act of kindness
- if you purchase from a local business owner you’ll be pumping money back into your own community which will enrich the area you live in
- you may even get a sweet message or freebie as a thank you
this Christmas, challenge yourself to only buy gifts from small, independent retailers. that’s what i’ll be doing as i truly understand the importance of it.
please leave in the comments your favourite independent retailers & on that note take a look at my personal website to browse and shop the range of products i’m an advocate of and take a look at my facebook business page for more info.