lavender has many benefits, it has amazing calming properties which is good to remedy many things from headaches to insomnia. not only do i smell it at work, i also grow it on my balcony. our plant has come along very well and we have an abundance of flowering stems, (this is the best time to pick it). also, i was delighted to discover that it goes down well in desserts and drinks too! who knew?! before summer is over and colder weather descends upon us, make the most of the flowering lavender.
to share my love for lavender i thought i’d share with you some great creative ways to use it so you can benefit from it too.
- add dried lavender to ice cubes for a refreshing drink
- dry lavender looks great in flower arrangements or in glass jars either on the table or dotted around the house
- i’ve been loving lavender incense at the moment, try burning some lavender incense in the bedroom to create a peaceful relaxing haven, or elsewhere in the home to deter flies and insects
- lavender oil is great to add to a bath or to a pillow to induce sleep, or you can dry lavender and tuck it into your pillowcase for the same effect
- one thing i always remember about my childhood was my nan having lavender sachets in clothes drawers, now i know it’s because it protects them from moths. great way to make your undies smell good too
- you can add a mixture of; dried lavender, lavender essential oil and epsom salt in a jar to create a lovely relaxing bath salt
to dry lavender, store in bunches in a dark dry place (an airing cupboard is perfect for this) leave for a couple of days, and viola.